Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bowen

(aka: Bobo, Bowie, The Kid, Baby, and Fussy Guy)

 
http://www.susanneashby.com/


It's happened. The Cutest Baby In the World has been born. He's perfect in every way. Bowen was born on Thursday, December 30th at 4:45 a.m. after about 8 hours of labor and 15-20 minutes of pushing. Not too bad! And, yes, you better believe that I had me some delicious epidural! I can't imagine doing that without it. Seriously - the most excrutiating pain I've ever been in my entire life. Anyway, he was 7 lbs., 1 oz., and 21" long (although a couple days later when I measured him, he was only 20". I think his head was slightly swollen and cone-shaped when they measured him at birth).

He is just the love of our life, the apple of our eye, and a dream come true. All the pain and discomfort of pregnancy and labor were 110% worth it. I whined and complained so much during the pregnancy, and back then, I couldn't understand how I was ever going to do it all again for my other kids. But now, four weeks later (heck, back at only a week later), I am more than happy to do it again.

My mom came for about a week to be at the hospital with us and to teach us the ropes, and it was so wonderful having her here. (Not to mention, she brought our Christmas presents - yay!) She was a great support (and photographer) in the delivery room with me, and she was a lifesaver when Brett and I were both desperate for a nap after a sleepless night. We had so much fun watching shows on Netflix and playing with Bowen! We miss her. Come back to us, Grammy! Bobo misses you!

Aunt Maddy came for a day at the end of that week, and we took Bobo out to a quilting store in Pacific Grove, right next to my favorite knitting store. Awesome store! I've been wanting to start quilting, and now I really want to! While Maddy was here, she waxed my eyebrows and cleaned our kitchen, both of which were much needed.

Now, I need to talk about Brett for a second. He has been AMAZING. He was my rock during labor, and then for the ten days that he was home from work with us, he was a great baby assistant. We discovered that the only pacifier that Bowen will take is daddy's finger, and only if it's upside down (fingernail on the tongue). If anyone knows of a pacifier with a huge nipple please tell me where to get it! Also, Brett is an amazing cook. The first day, he made some chicken noodle soup from scratch, and it was the best I've ever had. Then, he made his famous veggie lasagna and later, some awesome green enchiladas. Holy smokes, he's good! Plus, he sings the Fussy Guy Song, which Bobo loves.

Here are some more pictures for your viewing pleasure. You've probably seen these all on Facebook already, but I have more from his newborn portraits coming soon!

I LOVE this shot that my mom got of Brett cutting the cord. Agh. I get teary-eyed looking at it. Look at that baby's face!

Brett and Bowie in the hospital room.

Bobo with Grammy.

Cuteness.

This picture cracks me up. He does this straight-leg thing, and he's done it since he was in the womb!

I took this picture of him with my phone, and it's one of my favorite pictures of him ever.

Cuteness from the side.

Naptime with Daddy. He's done these adorable newborn smiles since day one. I know he doesn't mean anything by them and doesn't know what he's doing with his face, but it still makes me melt. I was lucky to catch this one on camera!

We had to get him these little onsies (size 5-8 lbs) because they were some of the only ones that fit him well for the first couple weeks, and they have the mitten cuffs on them, which he really needed because he was scratching the crap out of his face when he'd get all pissed off. Look how loose it is on him in this picture, at nine days old. He's exactly four weeks old as I type, and he's grown out of these onesies already, and it kills me!

Well, there ya have it, folks. So, what have we learned today?
1) Bowen is The Cutest Baby In the World.
2) Epidural is our friend.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I know of a pacifier with a huge nipple. It's made by playtex and the nipple is rubber instead of silicone. I can't for the life of me remember what it's called but I will bring it to church on Sunday. (I get to come to RS YAY!!) Benjamin doesn't like it so I have no need for it.

My other comment... You need to find the book "Hug" by Jez Alborough. It's imperative. He will forever think the book is about him.

Morgan Werner said...

Oh, awesome! Thanks! We've been searching for a pacifier that's anything like Brett's finger but to no avail.

We love kids books, so we'll look that one up! Thanks!

Susanne said...

That picture of Brett cutting the cord is just perfect!

Liz H. said...

darling pics!! love these, morgan! hope to meet the little guy soon!